Sunday, March 11, 2012

Prioritize for a purpose driven business life

How many of you prioritize every single task that you undertake in a day?  Do you use something like a 4-way test to prioritize your activities?  In the same vein as Rotary International members who put decisions through a 4 way test asking: 
Is it the truth? 
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned? 

You can similarly steer your entrepreneurial venture along the right path by making sure that you and your employees are focused on the right activities all the time.

I suggest to many colleagues and friends that we also follow a priority rule before engaging in activities. While I like and apply the Rotary 4-way test, I also apply the following 4-way test for my business time in activities (like internal meetings) by asking the following 4 questions: 
  1. Is it going to improve positive cash flow?
  2. Will it better establish or improve customer relationships?
  3. Will it control costs or improve our capital?
  4. Will it benefit our infrastructure?
If I can't answer yes to those 4 things, I realize it's probably a waste of money or time and stop what I'm doing or make it clear to people I am not interested in attending an event.  I have to question what the benefit will be to me as much as my employer, business or family.  I must stay focused on everything I'm doing for the purpose of my business success and life success.  Looking at activities this way helps me stay focused when I'm juggling the day's  priorities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment