Thursday, April 12, 2012

How many of you want to see this in your local bookstore?


The Harvard Book Store has installed one of these machines, and I think every independent publisher and author will grant publishing rights to their local bookstores to sell and print their printed versions of ebooks.  It is also a matter of negotiating with Amazon for their vast library of books to flip the publishing industry on its very head and put the control back in the hands of independents with this technology.  Publishing ebooks is as easy as uploading a Word document for authors and publishers.  There is very little to it to justify the costs that the large 5 publishers and Apple were able to charge in their attempt to take control from Amazon's ebook portfolio.  The going rate for published content by local independent authors and publishers willing to give rights directly to their bookstores will remove the need to use an agency publishing model and put the control of sales in the hands of independent and chain bookstores.  I for one welcome the innovation and encourage independent bookstores, publishers and authors to adopt this model and machine.  I hope to see one in every bookstore and library where I can wait for a printed version of the ebook on my reader or tablet, and get a print-out of a required section from a book I need for class.  All while I have a cup of coffee and browse other book titles. 

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, my local bookstore shut down last year. I might want one in our local library branch. I'd be more interested in seeing a 3d printer at the local hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about 3d printers in hardware stores. I think those are coming to a shop near you. The costs are down to under $2000. Get them cut like keys at your local store. It's too bad about your local bookstore. The book retailing industry can be reinvented with this new technology. Thanks for your comments Bruce.

      Delete